Thursday 4 April 2013

Posted by Hira Shaheen On 09:05
Mathematics always used to be my favorite...and I often thought I've been made to be an engineer...
Decided!!! So I am gonna for EE(electrical engineering) as my favorite part in physics was electricity, electronics n stuff :P


Good Math + good Physics = EE...suits me best..


LUMS entry test...
couldn't complete any section except Math...walking out of examination hall...(dejected)...talking to myself..." koiiii chance nai mera...luminite ban'ne ka khwab toot gya" ...consoled myself by saying more chances still to come in life...life doesn't end here...made a promise to myself that going to work really hard for all upcoming entry tests...

A big shock in May 2011....LUMS admission results were announced. Seeing a letter post from LUMS at my door offered me no resistance to tear the top & read the letter....although I wasn't expecting a YES but every next line I read made my smile grow bigger n bigger :) :) :)
My name in the very first list!!! OMGSSS!!!...I JUST CANT BELIVE IT...pinch*....it's reality!:P



After I completed my A levels, giving time to studies for preparation of entry test( NUST, UET still to come) was so torturing for me...'tring tring'...everytime I picked up the call..."hamza aja yr cricket khelein...hamza aj sham ko nandoos jana hai... etc etc" and all those exciting offers I got, tempted me...books SLAMMED!!! and I was gone off happily... and only reason for taking studies so casually was..."yr mera admission ho to gya hai lums ab kai krna hai mene par k...chilllll maannnnnn :) "
...and  books I mean "Fsc books"...only those students like me know that howwww "AGONIZING" it is to be laden with Fsc books just after we have cleared our A levels books  JUST TO DO GOOD IN ENTERY TESTS....A level buddies you agree?? ;p
jin pe beet'ti ha unhai hi pta hoti hai... :P


 While I was bashing my head in Fsc books, my A levels result came out with glimmering A*s. The word TREAT entering my ears from every possible direction:)
On the day of orientation first time ever I saw LUMS"wowwww jussst woooowwwww" <3<3<3
At that time I was craving for LUMS more than ever...
FINALLY!!! I AM A LUMINITE NOW :D *sighs*
MCAT was forgotten long ago :p
But a month before MCAT..
Father:"beta jo apka dil kray jo ap parna chaho parna meri tarf se koi rok tok nai...buttt....meri khwahish hai k ap doctor bno..."

.....THE TURNING POINT OF MY LIFE.......

On one side LUMS was asking to submit the first installment on the other hand 1 month to go for MCAT...LUMS...MCAT....LUMS....MCAT...utter dilemma...what to do whhaatttt toooo dooooo.... :/
Giving a deep thought.."dil pe pathar rakh k I dropped LUMS" and started prep for so-called "MCAT" in which I was never interested so much just for my father's sake because I know "how hard time he had to let me study in the best institutions all my life now it was the time that I have to take his wish into consideration" ...2 weeks to go & I started taking Fsc a bit seriously...but couldn't do it.. Always had thoughts of dropping one of the best unis worldwide. I kept on asking myself "how....i mean how could you leave "LUMS"???

Finally MCAT 2011 test day....I thought I did better than my expectations but I WAS WRONG....854 marks in MCAT and equivalence in O, A levels threw me out of the top 3300 to be admitted in medical colleges...from the hope of getting admission somewhere in Lahore to getting admission nowhere....so upset...ab kai hoga..ab kia krana chahye...I had no other option left...Hamza Amir...who has been a very good student in his whole life NEVER EVER n I repeat NEVER EVER thought that one day would be facing SUCH A FAILURE!!

My father was so angry at me...ok! I acknowledge...that was my carelessness!



Broken apart...thinking to opt for pharmacy or some other Bs programs.....well...after much pondering finally took a gap year...

"....give me some sunshine...give me some rain...give me another chance I wanna grow up once again..."

I remember all those winters of December going to kips early in the morning...
& all those summers of June n scorching heat that passed before my face...



That year anyone who asked me which college I was preferring I straight forward answered KEMU!! People said "overconfidence" I said its "confidence"!!!

Clock ran down...MCAT 2012 a few weeks away...!!!
Days passed and finally I was on my way to the examination hall for 2nd MCAT attempt...all the way voices were going through my mind..."I will try my best to be the topper...I will try my best..."

Completed my paper well before time and was very satisfied with my performance but was doubted that may be I can't top...anyways I was expecting 1050+...in evening I was eagerly waiting for the key to be uploaded. I checked my key and it came out 1034" (aint bragging fellas :p )


Who care about being a topper? :p
I was very hopeful of getting admission in KEMU..."KEMU nai to AIMC to pakaaaa..."..the line I said confidently to every person I met... :)

butttttt......I was wrong again...an advancement in merit of 2.16%....only thing I could do then was.... plz Allah AIMC a jae beshak last seats may but plzzz...

In the end I saw my name in SIMS list...remembering all that hard time I had and then having known I got into SIMS, seriously broke my heart..."itniii mehnat ki or nam kahan aya....SIMS!!! " :'(
(at that time I didn’t know that HOW "STUNNIING" SIMS IS and just thought that KE & AIMC are the best....)

I don’t know why but each time, time proves me wrong....SIMS IS BEST AND NOW AFTER 'SEEING IT' 'FEELING IT' 'SMELLING IT' 'KNOWING IT'...I AM REALLY PROUD TO BE A SIMSONIAN....It is one of the est things of my life and I own it completely.





and now I know I was not made to be an engineer, nor a luminite but a doctor and a proud simsonian...and all that happened in very last moments when I was just about to enter LUMS with hyper-enthusiasm....that's what I call  A TURNOVER  and that's HOW I DEFINE MY FATE.. Really happy with my life:)


Just look! With all that sunshine..with all that rain...and with ANOTHER CHANCE I grew up to the "one and the only SIMS"...:P

(and guys one edge is that SIMS is at a walking distance of no more than 4 minutes from my home...another application of fate:P )

INSHALLAH ONE DAY "WE SIMSONIANS" WOULD LIFT THIS SIMS HIGHER THAN KEMU AND AIMC AND PROVE THAT NOT "KEMU OR AIMC" BUT "SIMS IS THE BEST IN THE CURRENT ERA " :)


SIMS...SERVICES INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES....A PROSPERING INSTITUTE....



7 comments :

  1. There are just so many things I can relate to. On the piece I'd say, try to avoid the slang. Nicely put! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly, in a few years you'll remember this decision with not too much fondness, you'll curse it. i wish not though

    ReplyDelete